This lesson will use short stories and poetry to explore how gender roles and identity can be shaped by culture and change over time.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS, 8/9
- Big Ideas: Exploring stories and other texts helps us understand ourselves and make connections to others and to the world. Questioning what we hear, read, and view contributes to our ability to be educated and engaged citizens.
- Curricular Competencies: Recognize and identify the role of personal, social, and cultural contexts, values, and perspectives in texts. Access information and ideas for diverse purposes and from a variety of sources and evaluate their relevance, accuracy, and reliability. Think critically, creatively, and reflectively to explore ideas within, between, and beyond texts.
- Content: Metacognitive strategies.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS, 10/11/12
- Big Ideas: The exploration of text and story deepens our understanding of diverse, complex ideas about identity, others and the world. Texts are socially, culturally, geographically, and historically constructed. Language shapes ideas and influences others. Questioning what we hear, read, and view contributes to our ability to be educated and engaged citizens.
- Curricular Competencies: Recognize and identify the role of personal, social and cultural contexts, values and perspectives in texts. Recognize how language constructs personal, social and cultural identity.
- Content: Writer’s craft: voices, styles, and perspectives. Writing genres: formats. Forms, functions and genres of texts (Gr 12).